Thursday, September 6, 2012

double standards


feminism |ˈfeməˌnizəm|
noun
the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 


It is only in the past year or so that I realized I was a feminist. By simply wanting to be treated the same as a man, I am a feminist. By thinking that all genders should be treated with equal respect, I am a feminist. By working for equal parental rights, by advocating against gender discrimination, and by voting for marriage equality, I am a feminist.


And, as a parent, now, I'm worried about my child, my daughter.

Despite not having cable, and not seeking it out, I still hear celebrity gossip. What struck me recently was the emphasis placed on the breakup of Twilight co-stars, specifically the over-the-top derision of Kristen Stewart for her actions, who has now been dubbed a Trampire. From the linked article, the following paragraph was especially frustration (the bold emphasis is mine):

But for young women, the culture of slut shaming that the Kristen Stewart scandal represents won't go away. I might not be concerned for K-Stew, but I am concerned for all the young women today who are tuned into this scandal, ones who are learning that it's not okay to screw up, ever. Chris Brown can publicly beat the hell out of his girlfriend but still be played on the radio and win Grammys. However, if you ever cheat on your boyfriend, your life is over and no one will ever want to be associated with you. Almost no one will blame the much-older guy you cheated with, and it might actually make him more famous and help his career. Few will care that he was your boss and in a position of authority or that he may have have taken advantage of your youth and relative inexperience. Everything is your fault, and your life will be threatened over it. If you are a trampire, you will be publicly staked for it, even though cheater Ashton Kutcher recently emerged relatively unscathed by the media. No one asked for him to be fired from Two and a Half Men.
If the underlying culture in America is still to blame, threaten, and slut-shame a woman for infidelity, but expect and accept it from men, then we still have a long way to go.

No comments: