Thursday, July 26, 2012

Mushroom soup

I miss cooking. More than that, though, I feel guilty when I don't prepare a nutritious meal for my family. As a full-time postdoc and a new mom, though, it can be difficult to remind myself of the importance of nutrition and exercise (we'll get to that one later). But, I like cooking. I like baking. I like experimenting with food, and it really is a stress-reliever for me. In addition to knowing exactly what's in my food, I can easily control portion sizes, flavors, colors, temperatures... maybe I'm just a control freak.

Well, this week I've gotten into a better cooking routine again, reminding myself that cooking healthy, delicious foods doesn't have to be difficult or time-consuming (although I really don't mind if they are, so long as I have the time to spend). This week's big success was mushroom soup.

Mushroom Soup (Vegan)
6 medium-sized baby portabella mushrooms (about 2 pints), sliced into strips
1/2 sweet onion, diced
2 crushed cloves of garlic
1 green onion, sliced
2 cups cooked brown rice
4 cups vegetable broth (low sodium, so you can add your own salt to taste)
1 tablespoon olive oil or 3 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoons soy sauce (optional)

Saute the diced sweet onion and crushed garlic in olive oil or 3 tablespoons of water on medium-high heat until onions are slightly translucent. Add sliced mushrooms and vegetable broth (add more or less broth depending on how much you like it). Bring soup to a boil, then simmer until mushrooms are cooked. Add cooked rice, heat until the rice is thoroughly warmed. Taste the soup; if you like your soup a little more umami, add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce now. Add green onion and serve.

The soup was surprisingly filling. I imagine tofu or cooked, sliced chicken for some additional protein would fit well with the flavors.




As an added bonus, this soup is baby approved!





No comments: