Sunday, January 29, 2012

Homemade food

So, I do cook a lot, but since I've lost my iPhone (aka instant camera) I haven't been posting as much about it, or anything really. I like having pictures. Well, no new phone, but I have a computer that makes it much easier to download pictures, so I'm hoping to get back to posting a little more often, with images.

So, vegan. I like the idea of it (except foregoing honey - really, honey? Honeybees are good, and honey is delicious. I could never ever give up honey). But the rest of it - limiting/excluding animal products, is really, for the most part, good for ones own health (assuming you don't live on potato chips and vegan ice cream), but more so, it is good for animal welfare (which is good for both humans and animals, emotionally), and it is good for the environment. So, although we did buy some animal products this week, I'm still trying to incorporate less of them into our regular diet.

Luckily, there are lots of delicious, animal-product free foods!

First, I made edamame-guacamole (same recipe as guacamole, but substitute half of the avocados with pureed edamame). I was inspired because we found a whole bag of avocados at the store for a dollar (they were ready to be eaten today), so I made the largest bowl of guacamole any 2-person household should every have (regular-sized coffee cup there for comparison).

For breakfast this morning (yes, at the appropriately ungodly hour of 7:23am) I made not only vegan pancakes (substituting ground flax seed and water for the egg), but DINOSAUR PANCAKES!! They were really delicious, and doubly fun because, well, they were dinosaurs. Claire ate all the Pterodactyl eggs. Also, in case you're wondering the top is a momma Pterodactyl with a bunch of eggs. On the bottom is a Tyrannosaurus Res attacking a Stegosaurus.


And, last night, I made a very flavorful black bean soup.

Black Bean Soup
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 celery ribs, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1/2 onion, diced finely
1 can of black beans
1 cup re-hydrated black beans (or another can of black beans pureed)
1 tomato, diced
Chile powder to taste

Vegan sour cream (toffuti brand is good!) and chopped cilantro for garnish.

Saute garlic and onions. Add celery and carrots and cook 5-8 minutes. Add beans tomato and chile powder. Cook until carrots are your preference of softness.



No comments: