Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Done!!! (well, sort of)

A week ago we submitted my second research article (studying variations in life history traits and both autosomal substitution rates and male mutation bias - I'll write more about it, when we hear back from the reviewers).

Today we submitted a review article about biomedical and evolutionary advances related to male mutation bias and the paternal age effect. Hopefully this one won't take as long through review.

AND... today I submitted my last fellowship application!! That makes a total of six (in order of submission):
1. Life Sciences Research Foundation Fellowship
2. Miller Fellowship
3. NSF Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
4. President's Postdoctoral Fellowship (at Berkeley)
5. L'Oreal Women in Science Fellowship
6. NIH NRSA postdoctoral fellowship

Whew! They aren't as large as grant applications, but still good practice, I think. Especially the NIH NRSA - lots and lots of "paperwork" to complete. They aren't totally complete, two are still waiting on receipt of my letters of reference

Now I can sit back and relax...oh, wait, I forgot, I'm in academia, which means there's never really and end to the day, just small victories. But how sweet these victories are!!

I have another research project to finish and write up, and one more review article to assemble and write before defending my thesis next semester. The more I can get done on these now (i.e., before baby arrives), the better. I've been staying up way past my bedtime the past week, so I might take the afternoon easy - just start looking up references for the next review, but then will get right back at it.

No comments: